RE: GoodParts Compression ratio

To: <mkutka@mcw.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GoodParts Compression ratio
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 13:36:26 -0700
        Michael:

        Depends on how much fiddling you are willing to endure.

        First of all, you will be putting premium only in the motor.
Secondly, you will need to carefully craft your ignition setup and
tailor the advance curve, and you cannot allow the engine to overheat as
detonation resistance declines dramatically as the engine and intake
charge temperature climb. You will definitely need to re-needle your
carbs and you will observe an increased tendency to 'diesel' as well.
        A SWAG on my part is that with some fussing and premium only
fuel, we could run 10.0:1 to 10.2:1in our TR6s reliably. That is *just*
a guess however. My car is currently at 9.6:1 and is very solid with
regular gas. The downside: the engine definitely wants to diesel on
occasion, but the anti-run-on valve stops it cold.
        Modern cars can run 10.5:1 reliably, but they do so with
multi-port fuel injection, anti knock sensors, aluminum heads, and high
squish combustion chambers, usually on premium gas.
        Some people may regard a car that requires regular fiddling
perfectly streetable. Others would say that it is not drivable. Depends
on how much you want performance, and how much you can afford to pay.
        In contrast, my needs are very simple: 1,000 HP, 60 MPG, idles
smoothly at 650 RPM. =:-o

        Vance