Re: [GTR] Bringing TR6 back to life

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <70TR6@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: [GTR] Bringing TR6 back to life
From: "Robert McBride" <rmcbride@twmi.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:17:14 -0400
Not that this is the correct way!!!!!!! But I just did the same thing with
my 76...  A week before I planned on starting it I removed the spark plugs
and sprayed WD-40 in the holes and removed the valve cover cap and sprayed a
lot in there....replace plugs in holes hand tight just to close them up.....
a couple of days later I got a new battery and installed it, and with the
plugs out I cranked the motor over till I got oil pressure showing on the
gage.... Installed the plugs and it fired right up....

Things I now wish I had done first.....remove the radiator cap to make sure
it will release pressure I didn't  cost $400.....  Wish I didn't park it
with the parking brake on cost $200 (replace master and wheels on brakes and
master and slave on clutch)....  Make sure you check the oil level in the
trans and rearend  cost I might of got lucky on this one only $3 for a quart
of oil for the trans so far not sure what damage I did driving it 200 miles
up to the cottage before checking it,,,, overdrive wasn't shifting right if
that was a clue I missed it.....

One thing that might of helped me a lot was I had been burning 100LL
aviation fuel in it as I had the car stored at my airplane hangar... I
believe this fuel is designed to not go stale over time...but car was
running a little ruff so I poured a can on injection cleaner in it and it's
now getting better....

I hope you had the car up on blocks so the tires didn't get flat spots on
them and dry rot... I didn't so far so good...

My clutch was sticking so bad on release that it was impossible to take of
smoothly,,,, so I drilled a hole in the bellhousing and sprayed the throwout
bearing sleeve on the transmission with oil after cutting a piece of 2X2 to
the right length to hold the petal down... a helper would of save me from
doing this...

OH YES I have had more fun with the car the past week than in the past 15
years I have had it...  Wife loves going riding around in it up there on the
open roads... Oh and the fact that I can now take off with out stalling the
engine 9 out of 10 times helps also...Ok it does leak oil from every place
it can  but hell it's a English car and should right  my BSA did but knock
on wood the wife's Jag doesn't yet!!!!....

I'm off to the cottage so wouldn't be able to answer you till the
6th.....Bob