Re: Tuning a tr250

To: Ron.Landis@kentcounty.org
Subject: Re: Tuning a tr250
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:50:58 EDT
In a message dated 6/27/2005 11:23:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Ron.Landis@kentcounty.org writes:

>  Car will idle okay, alittle rough @
> 850rpm, but once you "goose" or let off on the throttle it idles down to
> like 200rpm and wants to stall.   The idle comes backup to a rough 850.

Ron,
All I can do is offer support because I have had similar problems with my 250
for over a decade now.  I have tried every trick that I can think of with
only moderate success.  It still likes to stall occasionally and the idle is
what
I would call "Goofy."  Now, with mine I started with a totally stock carb set
up but the head is shaved real skinny and the cam has an unknown profile.
This did not work at all possibly because to much vacuum was being produced. It
did not like the vacuum retard, PVC valve, bypass valves and all that emission
stuff.  I even had a couple of professionals work on it and they screwed it
up worst than I.
So finally after several years I blocked off everything and cut a small hole
in one of the PVC valve pipes, ( on the bottom so you can't see it) to provide
crankcase ventilation. I have been driving it that way for 3 years and
although the idle is still goofy she has a real nice power band at 2500 to 5500
Revs.
I have been told that since this was Triumph's first attempt at emission
control many problems were experienced. Most related to the manifold with the
PVC
on top and that little vacuum retard valve. Add to that the bypass valves and
boy you have a whole bunch places for leaks. My 71 TR6 which has none of this
purrs like a kitten at idle.
The whistle would certainly indicate a leak, so would lean running. I have
seen bright white plugs come out of mine.  They have been known to leak at the
manifold gasket too. Some guys say use two gaskets.
Hope you find the answer to your problem.
Darrell