RE: Sound Deadening Material

To: "Andy Schwarz" <aschwarz11@comcast.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sound Deadening Material
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:34:20 -0700
        Andy:

        I think you want to replace it, as this sort of thing really
does help keep the car quiet.

        There is a product called "dynamat" that is 12x12" sheets of
self sticking asphalt, that I used to restore my car after I removed the
factory stuff for painting. It is thinner than the factory material
(1/16" vs 1/8"). If the thickness bothers you, you can stack two sheets
together and it will be identical. Since it is self adhering, this is
cake to do.
        It is available at any good auto parts store. It is surprisingly
expensive, and the last time I bought it the guy at the counter told me
he didn't know what I was talking about. I asked if he had any spray on
undercoating. He said yes, and showed me where it was. Dynamat was on
the shelf right next to the spray on undercoating goop. Sigh. It's sooo
tough to find good help these days... =;-)

        Vance