Re: Helicoil information needed

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>,
Subject: Re: Helicoil information needed
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:49:05 -0400
Bob Lang wrote:

> I actually have seem the studs pull out, but it's pretty rare. In
> fact I have a rather spectacular video of a certain Yellow TR250
> loosing the driver's side hub and outer axle assembly in a hard
> cornering manuever at the autocross at the '97 VTR National in
> Ft. Worth.

I do not think it is that rare, it has happened to me.  Five studs on one
trailing arm were loose on one of TR6s I used to own, granted my old '74 had
wide sticky tires and a 7/8" front sway bar, but I didn't autocross it or
drive insanely to cause the studs to pull out.  I do not remember what
prompted me to check the studs way back when, but I was really surprised by
what I found.

I checked some trailing arms I have laying and 5 out of 14 had at least one
stud that I could jiggle or get some movement out of (and not because they
were not threaded in the entire way).

Checking the trailing arm studs is something I recommend everyone do, it
certainly can't hurt and I think the problem is more pervasive than
perceived... and it may just save you some embarassment and costly repairs.

Kai (who wishes he never sold his '74... my '71 and '72s just don't feel the
same).

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics