RE: Starter Solenoid problem

To: "Mark" <whitetr6@gmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starter Solenoid problem
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 08:03:56 -0700
        Mark:

        The +12 battery cable goes to "B".

        The wire from the ignition switch will go to either E or F
(depends on the
solenoid).
        They have installed one of the "universal" solenoids for this
application,
so it has different terminals to support different applications.  The
use of a
universal solenoid is common on rebuilds, and harms nothing except
originality.
        Some starters for example use 2 coils, pull in and holding. The
pull in
coil is only energized until the solenoid engages, then the holding coil
holds
the solenoid in place until the key is released. This requires two
separate
connections, one for each coil. Our starters don't use this scheme, so
only one
connection is needed.
        Try both connections - one will work, the other will not and may
give
truly odd results, depending on how it is connected. For example the
solenoid
may engage, but not disengage, that sort of thing. So have your battery
cutoff
switch handy so you can disconnect the battery if the starter keeps
spinning
when the engine starts.
        You can ignore C&D, as they are tied into B, and so will always
be at +12v.
Once again, these are required by some applications, but not our TR6s.
        "A" is the terminal that goes to the starter motor, so it is
already
connected for you, and you need do nothing with it.

        Cheers,

        Vance

        P.S. This is exactly how my solenoid came back from the
rebuilder. The
starter works soooo much better, it starts the car in 1/2 second every
time. Very
satisfying.....