Electricial Problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Electricial Problem
From: shewfamily@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 07:23:28 -0400
Good morning list.  Hope everyone is enjoying the Spring driving season, I know
that I am.

I developed an electrical problem that I hope someone on the list can provide
me with help and counsel.  Last week, I was driving at dusk and when I turned
on my lights, I immediately noticed that my volt meter started dropping from
its normally rock steady 13.5 volts down to 11 volts.  At about the same time
my lights went out completely.  I fiddled with the switch and finally got the
lights back on by holding the rocker switch down with my finger.  Since the
switch didn't seem to make positive contact, I figured that I had a bad
headlight switch.  I picked up another switch and installed it over the
weekend.  The original switch was clearly gone and the rubber cover to one of
the connectors was slightly melted.  I replaced the connector and installed the
new switch.  Things seemed to work fine.

Last night I was coming home from work and switched on my headlights.  I
noticed again that the voltage was dropping and so I switched off the
headlights.  When I got home, I found that my headlights would work on
highbeam, but not on low beam.  Appears that I have a bad dimmer switch too.
Could this have been the problem all along?  Could the bad headlight switch
have caused the dimmer switch to go bad or vice versa?  Lights worked fine last
year. I have never been very good with electrical problems so any help the list
can give is appreciated.

John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN