Yet another rear clunk question...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Yet another rear clunk question...
From: "Shannon Muncy" <shannm2@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 23:02:16 -0400
Listers...

OK, here's the deal; I've got a bad clunk in my rear drivetrain.  I hear a
single, but very solid "clunk" when I first apply power or shift gears, but
not so much when I let off the accelerator.  My rear suspension is new
(bushings/springs/diff mounts/u-joints).  I've checked the notorious diff
mount and it seems remarkably in tact.  From just playing around under the
car, it seems that I've got quite a bit of slop in the differential or the
outer axles.   Could a worn diff and/or spline axles cause this?  What is
the easiest way to test the diff?

Or does anyone have any other ideas?  The suspension rebuild has about 500
miles on it, but it's always clunked since I've owned it.

Thanks in advance!
-Shannon
72 TR6 CC80068