Timing chain replacement

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing chain replacement
From: Mickylong@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 16:56:55 EDT
What is the conventional wisdom re: proper timing chain play and timing
chain replacement?    My motor (which has 65K miles on it)  is out of the car
waiting to be reinstalled after a repaint, I have new timing  gears from the
previous owner so all I'll need to buy is the chain.  It  appears that my chain
has
about 1/2" play on the tensioner side (using my  ultra-scientific measurement
technique of holding a screwdriver against the  chain and marking the block
at each end point of chain flex). Part of me says to  just go ahead and replace
it now.  But I'm so prone to shipwrights that I  thought I'd see if this
would be just another unnecessary repair having no real  impact on performance.

When the car was running, it did run a bit rough and timing seemed to drift
a bit but I could never trace this to a timing chain problem.

Thoughts?

Micky Long
72 TR6