RE: Low oil pressure

To: "mitch vamos" <mitchvamos@operamail.com>,
Subject: RE: Low oil pressure
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 21:26:51 -0400
Doesn't this just provide some increase in maximum oil pressure acting on the
fiter? As far as I know, the spring/ball affair is not a pressure regulator, it
is a bypass. The bypass comes into play only when the filter is so plugged up
that the engine begins to starve for oil. This is seen as a huge increase in
pressure between the pump and the filter. When this condition arises, the
bypass opens and lets unfiltered oil into the engine rather than having the
works running without lubrication. Increasing the spring strength has no impact
if the pump or bearings are worn; it only allows the pump to work at higher
pressure pushing oil through a dirty filter. It also helps in cold weather when
cold thick oil can't flow through the filter fast enough to maintain pressure
in the passages.

Mark