J_Type Overdrive comments

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: J_Type Overdrive comments
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:35:04 -0700
        Listers:

        I attended the British auto-jumble this weekend in Portland OR.
Met lots of great people, grunted, scratched, and talked about cars.
Great fun. (Grunt. Scratch.)
        While I was there I met Michael Corbitt (sp?) from Corvallis OR,
who is also on the list. He and I discussed J-Type overdrive
conversions. There was a nice selection of J-Types available there for
$125 each.
        Anyway, he was asking about the length of the output flange on
the J-Type, which I had to answer from memory. (If you are reading this
Michael, drop me a note off the list. Sorry if I mangled your last
name....)
        There was some conflicting information about whether the short
or long Volvo output flange could be made to work in a TR6. Someone
there had told him the long one was too long, and he should go for the
short flange. I begged to differ, saying the long one would be much
closer (assuming the TR6 prop shaft would fit, or that the flange could
be redrilled to make it fit). Well, I went home and looked at my
conversion, and the long flange is definitely the way to go. You can
compare in some photos...

        Here is a picture of my transmission, with a real TR output
flange -

        http://home.comcast.net/~v.navarrette/images/TRANNY_OD.JPG

        Here is a unit on EBay with the shorter Volvo output flange -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=45444
34582&category=34208

        Here is another on eBay with the longer Volvo output flange -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=79677
53241&category=6763

        The short flange has the tip of the mainshaft protruding
slightly from the flange. The longer output flange has the tip of the
mainshaft recessed into the output flange by approx 7/16". My genuine
TR6 J-Type output flange has the mainshaft recessed by approx the same
amount. So it looks like if you are really fortunate you can get a Volvo
J-Type with an output flange that will work on a TR6. I was not so lucky
and had to replace the Volvo output flange with a Triumph flange.
        What I was hoping for from this message is whether the longer
Volvo flange will work in a TR6 (is it close enough to the correct
length?). Perhaps Michael can measure his flange and post the length,
and I can measure mine since it is out of the car at the moment and post
my numbers. Then we can tell if it is worth the trouble of finding a
Volvo OD with the longer output flange so that you don't need to buy a
real TR flange. You can move the engine and tranny over a total range of
about 3/8"-1/2", so it is likely that you can move things around to use
the Volvo flange if the length is close. Michael said he had mated the
TR6 propshaft up to the long flange, and no redrilling was necessary.
Talk about a happy coincidence.

        I also learned that Volvo occasionally used a 25% J-Type, not
just 27% and 28% J-Types. So if you are REALLY, REALLY lucky, perhaps
you can get a 25% J-Type with a compatible output flange.

        BTW, if anyone needs an OD angle drive for their speedo, there
are several on eBay at the moment. Here is one for $20 -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=45447
91457&category=34208

        Cheers,

        Vance