air compressor

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: air compressor
From: jserignese@notes.cc.sunysb.edu
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:54:57 -0400
Brothers and Sisters;

I'm the guy who was asking about air compressors about six months ago..
Long story short::   I purchased what I thought was a portable 30gal 150psi
cast iron oil lube pump.  What  was delivered in reality is 135psi 7.1/6.0
scfm @ 40/90 PSI.

Dilemma:  I now have the opportunity to replace with a stationary 60 gal
150 - 12.4/12.2  scfm @40/90 PSI. (it's actually cheaper).

Issue:  The 135 cut-in pressure is 100PSI and the150  PSI  cut -in
pressure  is 115PSI.  Is this (and the tank size) a considerable advantage
over the obvious desirability of a portable unit?

My previous query to the list  provided an education on air compressors.
(Thanks to all)  The bottom line to that survey was : "stay clear of the
oil-less compressors (not enough power, too much noise)"  and spend every
available penny on the biggest compressor you handle.  What I have learned
has put me on the coarse to find the best portable out there.    Unless
I've missed something, the 135 cast iron is the most powerful and quiet
portable unit.

So here's the question;  To those who sand blast, and use other tools
requiring continuous air supply (sanders etc.)  what do you think of the
135psi unit?    I promise this is the last time I ask.          Thank you.

Jim Serignese

'74.5 Tr6,  on  the road
'70 Norton Commando's (in suspended animation)
'78 Harley Sportster orig owner / daily driver (if only one kid needs to
go)
50's born.... 60's child.... 70's all the fun.