Rear Reflectors

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear Reflectors
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 04:22:26 -0700 (PDT)
I have a 1970 TR 6 and it has the rear reflectors.  It was my understanding
(from osmosis so don't quote me here) that the 1970 was the only year that had
the rear reflectors.  That "understanding" has apparently been debunked.  I
know of at least two other 1970s that also have the reflectors (commission
numbers CC54xxx).  I think you wil probably find that the reflectors tapered
off in 1971 but were there for all of 1970. Someone said that the dreaded NHSTA
or whover controls these things decided in 1970 that the 6s didn't have enough
reflected light in the rear so the mfgr decided to add these little
reflectors-quite difficult and expensive to replace also.  They apparently
changed their mind in 1971 and the reflectors were discontinued.  Either that
or the reflective properties of the standard rear lights were improved upon???
As far as the ride height, it was my understanding (osmosis again) that the
ride height remained unchanged until the rubber bumpers arrived in 73-74??  I
 have noticed that the ride height of these later 6s is an inch or so higher
than the earlier models.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6