Fwd: Subject: Aftermarket Steering Wheels

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: Subject: Aftermarket Steering Wheels
From: MTRsix71@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 00:39:27 EDT
Forgot to copy the "list"...bummer

MTR
From: MTRsix71@aol.com
Full-name: MTRsix71
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:57:47 EDT
Subject: Re: Subject: Aftermarket Steering Wheels
To: Acekraut11@aol.com

In a message dated 4/13/2005 10:38:31 PM Central Daylight Time, Acekraut11
writes:

> I have only one question.  In regards to the 13" steering
> wheel, how does it perform at slow speeds?  I wondered how hard it was
> to turn?  A couple other people have the 13" wheel and say they would
> never go back.
>
> From the description of your experience it seems that the fit and
> finish are not top notch.  While I could probably use your experience
> to make it fit other steering wheels seem to fit better according to
> other owners experiences.

Aaron,
I really do not have much experience in driving my TR6 with the original 15"
flat steering wheel as I only put about 500 miles on it before putting it on
jack stands for over two years. I saw a post where someone said the smaller
wheel makes turning more difficult, and likely worst at slow speeds. I really
have not noticed. Yes, it is harder to turn as no power steering but nothing
that
bothered me. The factory wheel at 15" only gives 1" more in radius so the
added leverage is likely small and insignificant.  The real torque/leverage
comes
from the distance of the steering column to the steering rack, like a big a$$
screw driver.

The fit and finish are not five stars but I would give it 4 stars. The slight
roughness some of the notches for the finger grooves cannot be seen but only
fealt by your hand. I forgot to mention that I do like the increased thickness
of the wheel itself. It is much easier to grip solid than the very thin wood
rimmed wheels I have seen, maybe Moto Lita?

My modification to the horn push may have been due to Vicky Brit thinking I
had an MGB instead of a TR6. Maybe the hub to horn alignment is different on
the MGB. I do not know. Remember they sent a MGB sticker for the horn push.
Since it was so long after my wife got it for me, I just decided to modify the
horn push instead of haggling with Vicky Brit on an exchange years after the
purchase.

Enjoy your vacation. Cheers.

Michael Rankin
1971 TR6 CC 61212 L