RE: Harmonic Dampener Conversions

To: "6pack 6pack@autox. 6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>, <triumph.tr4@gmail.com>
Subject: RE: Harmonic Dampener Conversions
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 22:23:58 -0400
Hi Scott,

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but I'm now installing a
supercharger that uses a serpentine belt and the balancer needs to drive it.
Now installed is a balancer from a late model Caddy 4.9L V8 designed for a
six groove serpentine belt. The bore of this balancer is a press fit onto
the TR6 crank although I honed the bore to make it a sliding fit like the
original TR6. Both use the same size key and the weight is nearly the same.
This balancer has an outer diameter of seven inches (larger than the TR6) to
spin the supercharger faster for more boost. A smaller outer diameter may be
possible with the GM 3.1L V6 balancer. Both are available from NAPA, Caddy
part number 600-5239 and the GM V6 number is 600-5212. There is a photo on
my web site, (the tensioner in the photo is now different than pictured),
http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/schrgr.htm

Conversion to serpentine belt hasn't been easy. The spacer behind the
balancer has been trimmed down for alignment, a pulley for the water pump
fabricated, and now a tensioner must be mounted. If it weren't for adding
the supercharger with an electric clutch, it would not be worth the effort.

Rick