Re: Hot Differential

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hot Differential
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 16:47:34 -0700
Mike---Since the differential is air-cooled, a lot depends on how "it
feels to touch" on the outside temperature. (50 in Corvallis)?  Mine
would be uncomfortably hot to lay a hand of after a half hour of
driving, when ambient is 80 deg. or hotter. (It was this way before and
after a re-build) If I had to  GUESS as to the temperature of the
lubricant, it would be about the same as the engine.  200 deg.

Any of the turning, mating parts inside could cause more heat than
normal, if set up too close. If you set these gears, shims, bearings and
spacers no tighter than what the manual recommended, I'd not be too
concerned. If you do have  a high spot, it could loosen up.

The alternative would be a complete teardown, again.

Monitor this area for a few hundred miles, and you should be home free!

Dick

From:
Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu(Michael Corbitt)

I just took the TR6 for two 10 minute test drives following my second
rebuild of the differential (I remembered to fill it with lubricant this
time). After the first run I brought the car back in the garage and did
a visual inspection underneath. Everything seemed okay. The differential
felt warm to the touch. I immediately went back out for a second test
run. As I was heading about a mile uphill along a winding road, I
started to hear a low hum come from the rear of the car. I may just be
feeling the paranoia of rebuilding something for the first time, okay
2nd, but it seemed like there was an ever-so subtle feel (vibration?)
along with it. The hum continued down the hill and on level ground as I
headed home, and it didn't matter whether I was free wheeling or in
gear.   At home, I crawled underneath and checked everything out.
Again things seemed okay. The differential felt much warmer this time.
Some might describe it as hot, but it wasn't so hot I couldn't lea! ve
my hand on it. But definitely some heat there.
I know most people don't get close and personal with their differential,
but do any of you have an idea on how warm a differential normally gets
when you're driving, especially on a 20 minute drive? I know there's
some friction happening in there to cause some heat, but how much is
reasonable?
Could the hum be symptomatic of too close a tolerance between the pinion
and crown? Do any of you have experience with rebuilt differentials? Is
there a break-in period that included any humming noise?
By the way, the rear suspension has all recently been redone, but the
tires are the same.   Perhaps it's so much quieter back there now,
that I never realized the hum was always there before. Thanks for any
opinions that get offered.
Mike
Corvallis, OR