RE: lowering

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: lowering
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 07:32:18 -0700
Oliver, My '72 has been riding 1.5 inches lower than stock for about nine
years now and I don't plan on changing it back anytime soon. My 1.5 inches
came about through springs and tires. It is not hard, front is harder/takes
longer than the rear to change the springs but the rear will then need to have
the camber adjusted. Dick Taylor was pretty close about the cost of the
spings. If you can add some more work in the area while you have it apart.
I'll give a short list of plus and minuses...
Plus...
Looks better (IMHO)
Lower roll center (improves handling)
Minus...
it's lower (watch for speed bumps and steep driveways)
      More difficult to get a floor jack under the frame, I have ramps to
drive onto just so I can get the floor jack under the car.

If you change the springs and couple that change with new bushings (if
needed), especially poly bushes in at least the trailing arm mounts, then the
handling will be transformed. Really eye opening what those "little" changes
can do.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO