Re: Hub Removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hub Removal
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:28:55 -0500
Rats... I mangled my note in the final edit....

It should have read like so...

Hi Ron,

I had similar problems removing the hub and backing plate from the trailing
arm, however in my case
I had removed the entire trailing arm assembly. It was on the workbench and
easy to get at.

On the advice of another list member, I separated the the rear axles at the
spline, and beat on the
  end of the male spline with a rubber mallet. I beat on it hard. It eventually
came out of the
trailing arm. There was corrosion between the hub and the trailing arm. After
the beating, I had
John Esposito check out the hubs for a possible rebuild, but they were perfect
as is, so the beating
with the rubber mallet did them no harm.

In regards to removing the rubber bushings, I used a cheapo Harbor Freight 3
jaw gear puller. Again
on the advice of another list member (it was Vance I think). It works very very
well. They come
right out. No problem at all. So easy, it made me feel like I knew what I was
doing :-)

Don Malling