Rear hub question

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear hub question
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:24:42 -0500
I appear to have a bent shaft on one of my TR6's rear hubs. A nice 1/4" wobble
on the wheel makes for another of the fine high-quality british vibrations I've
been experiencing. So a question. It's been a long time since I took that unit
apart. Do the rear shafts come out of the wheel bearing hub without having to
disassemble it? I had the bearings done about 300 miles ago, however I guess
the shop didn't notice the shaft problem. From the image on my catalogue, it
appears just to be held in with the large nut and a key on the shaft. However I
just can't remember if it's possible to repace the shaft without re-doing the
entire bearing. I actually did the bearings myself once, but it involved large
presses, cursing and invocations to Vulcan. Not going there again.

Mark
1972 TR6