RE: Overdrive oil...the last drop from me!

To: "'Hugh Barber'" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Overdrive oil...the last drop from me!
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 20:12:46 -0500
My last comments to the list on the subject, I promise:
The service bulletin appears to be dated from the early 50's since it
refers to the Vanguard, Renown and TR2. The Triumph engineers specified
90wt gear oil in "J" type overdrives as late as 1976. If there is a
supercession it would appear the gear oil recommendation supercedes the
motor oil recommendation. There may have been a good reason, maybe not.
Who really knows? Millions of service-free miles have been driven with
90wt and (I assume) various grades of motor oil so it may not make any
real difference what one uses.
I live in a fairly warm climate, and most of my TR miles have been
accumulated around here, however I did own and operate a 74.5 TR6 with
"J" type overdrive through Kansas and Kentucky winters using 90wt with
no problems whatsoever.
I notice that "old timers" seem to fancy motor oil in transmissions more
than relatively younger folks. Could it be a generational thing??

The following link is to the Triumph factory recommended lubricants for
a 75 TR6:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jdavis344/detail?.dir=6ea9&.dnm=a1ba.jpg&;.
src=ph

It is a photo of page 66 of the owner's handbook.

Lubed out,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO