RE: Transmission oil

To: <StuBeatty@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Transmission oil
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:11:09 -0500
Stu,
This poor horse has surely been flogged almost beyond recognition!
Unfortunately you don't specify the make, model or year of the friends
car, but since this is the 6 list I'll assume it is a TR6. That being
the case, I think the guy at the British car shop is full of it. But
there is one fairly easy way to find out; drain the 90wt and fill the
transmission with 10w30, or if it were me, Redline MTL. Then take it for
a spin and see if it makes a difference.
I don't think the problem will go away as intermittent o/d operation is
almost always electrical. So, before changing any fluids he might try to
determine if there is power to the solenoid when cold by turning the
ignition switch on and placing the transmission in 3rd or 4th gear and
operating the o/d switch. At least that's what I'd do. If the solenoid
functions properly cold then the problem may very well be internal, but
not IMHO from running clean 90wt gear oil.

Good luck to your friend,

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

Just got off the phone with a good friend who has been having some
difficulty with his overdrive. When the car is cold, the overdrive will
not  engage. He
contacted a local British car shop who told him it is because he is
running
90 wt gear oil in the transmission. This guy went on to say that he
should
run 10W30 or the heaviest should be 20W50 in the gearbox.

All the manuals I have read specify 90 wt oil, which is what I have in
my
car and I do not have any shifting or overdrive problems.

Anyone out there have similar problems and run different oil in their
tranny?

Stuart Beatty
76 Sleeping Carmine