rebushing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: rebushing
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:54:33 -0800
Bruce---When I changed my springs about 15 years ago (to install the
up-rated ones) I used the Bentley manual. It didn't mention using a
spring compressor, so I didn't.
The engine was in, so jacking up the spring pan was easy enough, when
this step was called for. I used a bottle jack and a piece of 2x4 shaped
to fit up between the shock bracket studs.
Others are more comfortable using a spring compressor. They say
"familiarity breeds contempt", so every spring change I've ever done was
using the two-jack method. One to hold up the frame, and the other to
compress the spring. (No compressor)
 It obviously can be done with or without a spring compressor. I'm sure
you'll do whatever's comfortable.

Dick

Bruce asked:
....After reading up on removing springs in the Williams "restore...
book and the Bentley manual, they say that you can change without using
a spring compresser. This does not seem like a wise idea. Any comments?
Thanks,
Bruce