TR 6 Rear Differential Mounts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 6 Rear Differential Mounts
From: ShewFamily@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:03:51 EST
I was concerned that I might have a broken or breaking differential mount, so
I removed the differential to inspect the mounts this winter.  I found that
the front rubber mounts that had been replaced about two years ago, had
elongated center holes that would have allowed for some shifting under heavy
load.
Subsequently, I have ordered and received a set of poly front and rear mounts
to solve this problem.  In cleaning up this area to ready it for painting, I
decided to sand blast the areas that were not accessable to a wire brush.  In
doing so, I believe that I have found some evidence of metal fatique on the
right front mount on the inside top cross member where the bolt comes through.
There appears to be a small circular crack about 3/16 of an inch from the bolt
that runs around the backside and to the left of the bolt.  I am not 100% sure
this is a crack as this doesn't appear to be where the stress would be found
on this mount.  I would appear that the stress would be on the lower part of
the mount, not at the top where the bolt come through.

I have the drawing to produce the plates to box in the front mounts, but I
was also thinking of taking a 1 and 1/2 inch strap 3/16 inch thick and about an
inch wide and drilling a hole the same diameter as the bolt.  Then notch out
one side so that this so that it would fit arround the bolt and can be welded
to the bolt and to the surrounding metal thus providing increased strength in
this area.  The width of this extra support would still allow for the ends of
the mount to be boxed.

Anyone ever done this or can anyone think of a reason not to repair in this
manner?  Thanks.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN