Re: Glad I carry a fire extinguisher - headlight switch

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Glad I carry a fire extinguisher - headlight switch
From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@ShoalsBritishCars.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:57:58 -0600
I've seen this on several TR6s.  I think this happens for two reasons:
1) The headlight switch can't carry the load, especially when upgraded
headlights that require more power are installed.
2) The circuit is unprotected so if anything goes wrong then you can easily
have a fire.

Here are some steps I took to prevent this:
1) Install a 30 amp automatic reset breaker on the 12v feed to the headlight
circuit.  If something goes wrong, the breaker will trip and try to reset
after it cools down.
2) Install two relays to handle the load of the headlights and parking
lights.  The switch will merely power the coil on the relay and the relay
will supply the power to the lights, therefore unloading the switch of any
real load.

I added these components under the dash.  There is ample room directly
behind the headlight switch on the firewall.

Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org/
'74 Triumph TR6 (for sunny days)
'84 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel (for the wife to drive)
'90 Chevy S-10 (to fetch parts for the first two)