TR6 frame verification

To: "Six Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 frame verification
From: "Dennis Costello" <djc.tr6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:59:55 -0600
As I have in mind some restoration work on my '6, I wish to verify the
condition of my frame before using it as a fixture for the replacement of
any necessary body panels since replacement of said panels on a twisted,
bent, or otherwise disturbed frame would prove to be counterproductive in
the long run.  So, I have heeded the advice of wizened members of this list
and purchased my own copy of the Bentley book.  I know that delivery of the
car to a competent frame shop would be a sound choice, but I hope to
accomplish as much of this whole process as possible, and thereby acquire
the right to say "I did it myself".  So, if those of you who have done this,
and don't find me completely crazy, would look at the diagram on page 428
and 429 of the Bentley, and answer these few questions:
1) I would have expected the "datum" to coincide with section"AA".  But it
appears that measuring from the floor up 24.97" to point 'A' would require
going up an additional 3.25" (47) to reach "AA"?
2) Measuring up 24.94" to point 'F' would require going up an additional
4.75" (61) also?
I just don't see what the 20" datum is, except I will then have to
recalculate all the dimensions given so I can measure up from the datum
line, which is easier with the body on the frame anyway.  Am I on the right
track, or should I pull the tub, do the frame, reinstall the tub, fix it,
pull the tub...yada, yada?
Thanks for bearing with me on this - but you do know where this is going!
-Dennis
CF8659U