RE: anyone know what "TR" stands for?

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>,
Subject: RE: anyone know what "TR" stands for?
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:57:35 -0700
The history that I have read agrees with John except that the first post war
Standard-Triumph Roadsters were never called "TR's". The first
Standard-Triumph to bear the "TR" designation was the "TRX", the car John
refers to as "the ill-fated 'bullit'", of which three prototype cars were made
in 1950. The "TRX" featured advanced features such as an electric top, and a
self-jacking system.

....at least that is what the history I have read establishes. The pre-war
cars (the true "Triumphs")are an entirely different and fascinating bit of
history as well.

Shawn J. Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO