Re: More Gremlins

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More Gremlins
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:50:16 -0800
 Ashford----If you didn't change anything on your own, and the
distributor seemed to be so far out of time, I will take a guess...

The points plate may have shifted, causing late or early timing. (You
didn't say which way you had to jump the drive gear) Look for a broken
or disconnected spring/wire where it connects to the post. This is the
post that would swing your points plate when vacuum is seen at the
canister.

It is unlikely that the distributor drive gears, or the timing chain
itself have jumped a tooth.
Does the distributor body seem to be in its original position now? Tach
drive cable at the same angle?

Dick

Ashford wrote:
Subject: More gremlins
I think that my car is pissed at me for not driving it much lately - the
car was laid up while I got around to having the U-joints replaced.
Anyway, I shared with you my issue with the brakes, which I'm working
on, and would like to thank everyone for their replies. However, the
issues don't stop there.
I was very excited to go out driving my car if only for a short time on
Saturday when it wouldn't start. I went though the normal stuff but
didn't check the timing since I KNEW it was spot on. Well, since car
still refused to start, I did check the timing and it was wayyyyy off.
It was so far off that the distributor could not rotate enough to get it
right. This necessitated removing the distributor and the drive dog to
get things back inline. I accomplished this, but what would cause my
timing to get that far out of whack?
R. Ashford Little II
'70 TR6 <http://www.ralittle2.com/>
CC54994