Re: Run-on, after...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Run-on, after...
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:24:04 -0800
 Geoff---It's good that you found some trapped HP when installing the
new muffler system.
This might be related to the run-on, so more on this later.

First, is there any chance that you knocked off the wire that controls
the anti run-on valve? If you have one, the wire comes off the oil
sending switch.

Think about any other change taking place prior to the run-on.

The fact that the engine diesels indicates that the ignition has been
terminated, (red ign. dash light out?) and the run-on is typical of
engines that have high idle speeds with no anti run in place. Try
lowering your idle to under 900rpm.

IF... it has something to do with the new free-flow exhaust, try a
temporary (partial) blocking at the muffler tip(s) using old towels or
something. Restrict the exhaust to duplicate what it once had and turn
of the engine, just to see. Block it to where the engine sounds slower,
but still runs.
 Of course you'll still need to go back to correcting the run-on. Open
exhaust should not cause this.

Dick

Geoff wrote:
Run-on after freeflow muffler install
List,
I successfully installed my Magnaflow straight-thru muffler today. After
an hour of some welding, I ended up with a professional looking job with
the ability to go back to the stock muffler in about half-an hour. Great
sound - a little loud right now, but some sooting up and the right
tail-pipe should take the edge off the sound. BTW, I've found my missing
500 rpms - I never could quite redline even with all the mods I've done
to the engine. Today, for the first time I shifted a little past 6k out
of choice - not absolute necessity. Tres cool. An issue which presented
itself today was: I turned the ignition off and took the key out, but
the engine still ran flawlessly. Only after a few attempt of turning the
key on (without engaging the starter) and off again, did the engine
finally shut off. Bad ignition switch? I just don't know why today of
all days it would start to act up. In addition on 2 occasions, when
shutting the car off, the engine was running on - shut! ting off after 5
seconds or so of dieseling. Plugs look great - light brown and dry and
temp gauge was about the half-way mark when shutting down.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Geoff Parker