Re: 1976 TR6 Alternator Conversion

To: Ronniepalmisano@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1976 TR6 Alternator Conversion
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:57:16 -0500
Ronnie,

  I have done exactly what you have asked for. I wanted to find a way to
install a GM alternator without having to cut the GM alt. housing. My
feeling was that if I ever had a problem somewhere on the road I wanted
to be able to change out the alt. without having to buy a hack-saw. I
had to mount the GM alt. upside down for it to fit without having to
cut the housing. I have a write-up of the procedure that I will attach.
It is in Word document format. It lists the materials and the procedure
that I followed, etc. I purchased my parts from the local NAPA store so
the part numbers are NAPA specific. If you need the GM part number let
me know and I will find out what it is. One part I had to source used
was an alt. bracket from a Dodge Ram Charger. The stock bracket was not
long enough to accommodate the alt. upside down. I went to a local
junkyard that lets you walk around and remove what you want and a ram
charger happened to be the vehicle that had a bracket that would fit. I
am sure other makes and models would work also. I had to change the
belt to a longer belt also. I have had it installed for over a year
with no problems. There is a picture of the installed GM alternator at
www.triumphowners.com/108. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any
other questions.

 Aaron

 Aaron Cropley