Offset

To: "6pack@Autox. Team. Net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Offset
From: "John Korsak" <jkorsak@cableone.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:58:13 -0600
Hello fellow 6rs,

Kai's posting regarding Konig wheels has brought up a question I thought I
knew the answer to, but now I'm not sure.

Kai states (and I also assumed) that stock steel wheels for TR 6 have 0
offset.  I have seen on another message board, that the stock wheel has 12mm
of offset.  This concerns me as I am trying to decide on whether or not to
get a set of adapters and go with modern alloy wheels.

I went out and measured my spare wheel and here are the results:
    from outside edge of rim to mounting surface is 2.8125 in.
    from inside edge of rim to mounting surface is 3.5625 in.

Therefore since they are not equal, there is an offset.  Realizing the these
measurements are from outside edges and not from inside tire bead seating
surfaces, I applied ratios to calculate the actual offset.  Using the above
measurements, I came up with 9.5mm of offset.  Recalculating using the
standard 5.5in measurement, I came up with 8.2mm of offset.

What's the deal?  My manuals do not give any measurement for offset.  I'd
like to ask the collective wisdom of this list, once and for all, what is
the offset of the standard stock steel wheels for the TR 6?

John
74 TR 6