Rear end twitch,

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rear end twitch,
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:53:16 -0600
 Thanks everyone for all the responses about the twitchy rear end. The areas
of possible cause were- 1) worn axle shafts (which I had), 2) shot bushings
(not a cause as it has new urethane bushings), 3) to much positive camber
(possibly, as when spring spacers were removed things were notably better and
camber became more negative).

  When the axles were replaced the twitchiness lessened. I had changed quite a
few things before it was tested again and so many things were changed for
various reasons, not just for handling but aesthetics as well, it would be
impossible to pin the cure down to any one thing. The changes were, removed
all four 1/2" spring spacers from Richard Good's springs, firmed up rear
damper settings, changed stock 5 1/2" wide steel wheels to Dayton 6" wire
wheels (205/70 Yokahama Avid T4's remained), and lastly  firmed up the rear
sway bar.
  I think that when the coil spring spacers were removed, thus increasing
negative camber, was a major factor in removing the rear twitchiness. Since so
many things were changed at on time I'll never really know. It is worth noting
that when the car was first put back on the road after the restoration it was
driven with all four corners out of alignment and without the 1/2" spacers and
the car felt good driving it on curvy roads. After it was aligned with 1/2"
spacers the twitchy rear end was noticed.
  So what now needs to be done, is concentrate on ONE area at a time.  I'll
see what playing with the rear bar stiffness will do as under steer needs to
be increased.
  To bad the tranny needs to be pulled for some warrantee work and driving
will be put off for some time. Hope she's back on the road in time for the
Mitty!!

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com<mailto:RSH17@msn.com>
View My 1969 TR6 restoration @