Re: Something found on Ebay..Opinions

To: "Shannon Muncy" <shannm2@triad.rr.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Something found on Ebay..Opinions
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:06:18 -0500
WARNING! CODE RED!  Anytime someone tries to 'improve' on a design be very
careful.  The original part is aluminum, not steel.  If memory serves me
correctly that was to allow the aluminum to expand from the heat to give a
better seal against oil seepage, including around the side wood wedges and
the threaded screw holes.  This will not happen with a steel part as its
coefficient of expansion will be very close to the cast engine block.

There are plenty of decent used parts around that you should be able to find
without stripped threads.  Stripped threads are very common for this part
but you could helicoil these if need be.  This eBay item is one
'improvement' that I would be very leery of using on my TR.

Greg Dito
CD6250L