Re: Distributor Question

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Distributor Question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 15:20:26 -0800
Marty---One of the advantages of a dual point distributor, such as the
Mallory, is the longer dwell time that they permit. We know that this
gives the coil more time to store more voltage, which is good for those
engines capable of very high revs.
If you are going to install the MSD, the newer units is said to have the
capability of giving a dwell angle of 42 deg. no matter the distributor
speed, so the advantage of the dual points is lost.
I can't say whether the Mallory will drop right in, tho  Figure on going
to an electric tach, if this is important to you.

Dick

Marty wrote:
I see VickyBrits has Mallory dual point distributors listed in their
winter sales catalog. The only 6 cylinder cars they list are Austin
Healey 3000 and MGC. Anybody know if they are anything close to a TR6
distributor? I have my MSD box to install over the winter and am
thinking about switching from my Crane set up.
Marty Sukey