Re: FLywheel gear

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: FLywheel gear
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:18:14 -0800
 Ron---Your intuition is correct, but this is the way Triumph placed the
ring gear. It is said to be a left-over from when the starter motor gear
engaged the ring gear from the opposite direction. Triumph never changed
it on their later engines.
It won't hurt a thing to leave it as is. If you have the occasion to
replace this gear, that would be the time to turn it around.
To do this, the gear must be split, as with a chisel. The new gear must
then be pressed on, using the hot part, cold part method.

Dick

Ron wrote:

TR6 Flywheel Gear
The rebuild of my TR6 never ceases to provide me with surprises. Maybe
I'm looking at it the wrong way but it looks like the bull-gear is
mounted backwards on the flywheel with the tooth bevels facing the back
of the car. This is kind of counter-intuitive but, then again, this is
an LBC. Is this the way it is supposed to be? If not, how is this
corrected?
Thanks and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Happy New Year to
everyone.
Ron