damaged block

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: damaged block
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:37:19 -0400
I'm sorting through a couple of engines I have in search of a good candidate
for a donor block.  I have one that has a few very shallow "gouges" on the
deck.  None of the marks are near the combustion chambers, but one crosses over
one of the water passages at the front of the engine.  I have to assume the
damage happened when the head was taken off.  All of the marks are very
shallow.  I plan on shaving the deck to obtain a zero deck clearance.  I'm
almost certain that this would eliminate any marks on the deck.  My question is
 1) Do I determine how much to take off the block by measuring with the current
crank/rod/piston configuration, or do I assemble the engine with the new
components and THEN measure the clearance?  2)  Can the pistons run a little
"proud" of the block?  I'm sure the gasket would prevent any interference with
the cylinder head.  3) would the use of a copper gasket vs the fiber gasket
eliminate any problems with small scratches/nicks on the deck surface?
ThanksJoe Davis

Check out the new British Cars Forum: