Thermostatic vaccum switch

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thermostatic vaccum switch
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:37:37 -0400
One of the great things about eBay is the many pictures of TR6 engine
compartments spanning all years... I've noticed quite a range of model
years with and without these thermostatic vacuum switches in the top
hose and notice that none of them are configured like mine.. which
brings me to my question..

Since these are switches there must be one or more vacuum sources and
one or more vacuum targets. One of the sources seems to be the front
carb and on some cars one of the targets is the distributor retard. So
I'm basically confused about what problem this switch is trying to
solve, what are the designations on the switch, why are several of mine
blocked off, how should it be configured for a 74 and half TR6 anyway
and what are the consequences of just plain old removing it as I see in
many pictures, assuming I plug up the exposed holes on the carbs and
relocate the dizzy retard to some other vacuum source like the banjo on
the inlet manifold ?

Stan

Check out the new British Cars Forum: