Re: Weber vs Stromberg vs ?

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Weber vs Stromberg vs ?
From: genehart@att.net
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 18:09:04 +0000
Stan,

The forced induction method (BLOWER) should be an option too. And also the FI
or PI route, The PI, Blower or Tripple sidedraft DCOE's all are the best ways
to go here. These are really the best choices for getting 150+ HP out of the
engine. Personally the 185+ HP Blower add on, is my induction of choice here,
and it kinda looks stock with the big SU carb. Thats 185HP without the camshaft
modification.

If none of these are acceptable, then go with rebuilding the ZS's. No reason to
throw good money after bad on the other solutions. Most people change to the
cheaper methods of induction due to the percived limitiaions or misuderstood
lackluster performance of the ZS system.

The emmisions system is no impediment to the HP output. Don't worry about
removing it, or keeping it. The air pump from 75 on, may suck off an pony or
two. Of course your state may decide otherwise about the lack of
emmisons.(Califorinia is one I think)

--
Gene Hart
genehart@att.net

Inagural run Aug 29 '04
Restoration began Feb 18 '03.

Thanks patient & loving wife.
(c)(201)981-3327
________________________
No sweeter sound than a TR6
running after 18 months.

-------------- Original message from "Foster, Stan" : --------------

> I have read a lot of stuff in various places and I'm still not seeing a
> consensus on the best approach to carburetion on the US model TR6 for
> street use.
>
> I'm ruling out all fuel injection solutions based on cost and complexity
> and I'm assuming I don't care about emission control.
>

> The options seem to be:
>

> 1. Triple sidedraft DCOE's, needs upgraded head and cam and mods to
> distributor, cost $1500+ just for the carbs so total could be $2500+
> 2. Dual DGV downdraft, bolt on replacement to Strombergs, will work
> on stock engine, some complaints about fuel consumption, driving at high
> altitudes, and less than startling performance. Cost around $800.00
> 3. Just replace or refurbish the Strombergs, they are fine carbs
> when in good condition and working well. Cost around $400.00 for
> professional refurb (TRF, others).
> 4. Other carb options (triple Strombergs, multiple SU's etc)
>

> Options 2 and 3 appeal to me the most with 3 being the simplest but
> would leave me with what I have now - a lot of moving parts and a lot of
> emissions and vacuum tubing. I wonder if anyone has any experience with
> option 2 (how well it went, would they do it again, what year TR6 was
> this done to and what happens to all the emissions plumbing and vacuum
> lines etc..). If I missed this topic in the archives feel free to just
> point me at it.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Stan

Check out the new British Cars Forum: