timing cover question

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: timing cover question
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 07:45:02 -0700 (PDT)
Listers:

The sound deading material on the front of the timing cover was coming off in
chunks so I removed all of it, since I plan to repaint it. My question is how
much difference will this make in the noise level of the motor? If it does
provide a significant improvement, what kind of material do it replace it with?
I've thought about using expanding foam sealant or high temp fireplace caulk.
Any suggestions about which way to go are appreciated.

My second question how do I get the rest of the *&$#)!@+! timing cover gasket
material off the front of the motor? I've removed gasket residue before, but
I've never run into anything this stubborn! It resists paint remover and
acetone. I am about to resort to using a sharpend putty knife and a hammer, but
I know this could damage the underlying gasket seating area. HELP.

Jim

Check out the new British Cars Forum: