Aluminum valve cover cap leaking -revisited

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aluminum valve cover cap leaking -revisited
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:36:44 -0400
Hi All,

If you remember a number of weeks ago I asked about TR6 aluminum valve
covers leaking oil from the fill cap. From your responses apparently most of
these valve covers have this flaw. There were several suggestions and the
only true remedy was to rebuild the engine to eliminate any blow by. All
well and good but my engine is far from new - besides the tin valve cover
never blew oil out the fill cap so. . . .

The fill cap is in two parts and the little breather hole in the chrome
cover is just for show as oil can leak out all around it's underside.
Against advice I soldered in the breather hole, not the one on top but the
one on the underside of the cap. It's been over a month now and no longer is
there a puddle on top of the valve cover. Not one drop! Once the fill cap
leak dried up I discovered a very minor leak around the nipple for the vent
hose. The manufacturer had not sealed the threads at all! Today it was
unscrewed and permanently sealed with JB Weld. The only concern is that I
had to reuse the old valve cover gasket because one of the big three sent
the wrong gasket. A correct replacement gasket will be ordered tomorrow.

Rick Patton
TBI for the TR6 project
75 Delft blue TR6
http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/