Re: Fuse Blowing

To: "Douglas Morris" <dcmdcm@earthlink.net>, 6pack
Subject: Re: Fuse Blowing
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <trstevens@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:03:31 -0400
At 08:50 PM 8/31/2004, Douglas Morris wrote:
>I've had one fuse blow three times [...] that feeds the OD solenoid,
>fuel & temp gauges, turn signal, fan, etc. [...] I'd like to know if there's
>(1) a historically likely cause or
>(2) a simple way to isolate the cause.
[snip]

I had the same problem on mine, that turned out to be (1) an intermittent
short to the transmission housing near the solenoid, from cracked
insulation on the O/D sub-harness, and (2) an intermittent short to the
steering column from abraded insulation on the wire coming from the O/D
switch.  As far as isolating the cause, I started with unplugging the power
to the O/D, and had no blown fuses for a while, then started taking things
apart.  I still had fuses blowing after finding short #1, and just kept
looking.

I think part of the problem has to do with the high current going through
the overdrive switch on the column -- it's bound to heat things up a
lot.  You might want to consider adding a relay to switch power.
--
Ted Stevens     trstevens@earthlink.net
'74 TR6 Gaithersburg, MD

Check out the new British Cars Forum: