Re: Dizzy adjustment

To: <genehart@att.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dizzy adjustment
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:52:28 -0600
Gene, you probably need to check the alignment of the distributor drive gear
to the camshaft.  To do this, you need to remove the distributor and the
pedestal (careful there may be shims under the pedestal that sets the drive
gear free play).  AS you look down at the drive gear you will see a slot that
is slightly offset with respect to the center of the gear.  With the engine at
TDC the drive slot in the gear should be facing approx 45 deg from lower left
to upper right, and I think the slot should be offset to the bottom but I
would check the Bentley or other book to be sure.  If its not aligned
properly, I use a magnetic tool or a large screwdriver to grab the gear to
pull it out (while twisting counterclockwise) and reposition it.  Its a PITA
to get right because you have to account for the fact that the gear twists as
it slides down into position, plus it has to engage the oil pump drive dog. I
usually start by inserting the gear with the slot straight up and down (I
think the oil pump drive dog should be somewhere between vertical and 45 deg).
After you get the gear in place and put the pedestal back on, check to be sure
you have the right drive gear free play (again see service manual).  Put the
distributor back on and you should be good to go.

John Lumia - 76 TR6

Gene wrote:

I stared my six for the first time this week, Since Feb '03. The whole
basement is still full of blue smoke, but it ran and I'm very happpy. But the
wife is a little miffed, should of started it outside I guess, I wan't
thinking that clearly at 1:30 in the AM..

Anyway, it took a while, but I had to manually turn the dizzy clockwise as I
started the car. That's right I stood outside with my right hand on the key to
start it, and my left on the dizzy turning it. I went from turned all the way
counter clockwise, to almost locked (turning dizzy counterclockwise). The more
I turned it clockwise the smoother the car ran, When I had it all the way over
(I had to disconnect the tack to do it). The car ran pretty good, the new
rebuilt carbs needed some adjustment but the car ran smooth, and I reved it up
a bit to splash the oil as described by the previous posts..

But this dizzy install must be wrong, every 6 I've ever seen has the vacume
facing the firewall, it's facing the wheel well now. I can't even connect the
tach cable because it's turned so far over (clockwise). But that's the only
way it will run. Anyone have a clue as to what I've done wrong?

Also I did pull it, spin the shaft 180 deg, and reinstall the dizzy to see if
that woul let me adjust the thing back a little, but to no avail. I stall have
to turn it all the way to lock clockwise, to get the car to run.

Happpy it ran but a little confused and counting revs on my fingers in
Brooklyn.