Re: Wheel bearing racers

To: tr6@kc4sw.com
Subject: Re: Wheel bearing racers
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 13:16:58 -0400
Hi Steve,

Steve Hanselman wrote:

> I pretty much have done the bearings on all of my cars over the years
> and have found that two or three finger-fulls of grease in the hub area
> is mostly gone by the time the next packing session comes around.  I
> also fill the outer grease cap with a good finger-full.

So you are saying that 2 or 3 fingers of grease in the interior cavity
of the hub -- in the area between the bearing races is sufficient?

That's not a lot of grease compared to what was there. I'm wondering why
it was loaded with gobs of grease. I'm the original owner, the TR250 has
60K miles, and I don't think it ever had new front brakes or the
bearings repacked. At least I don't think so.

> If you are using the felt inner grease seal be aware that you will be
> tightening (re-tightening) the shaft nut three or four times as the felt
> compresses.

I'm using this rubber grease seal

http://www.chicago-rawhide.com/catalogs/457010/sealdetail.asp?s=13612

comments?