Re: Poor Acceleration

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Poor Acceleration
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 11:07:34 -0700
 Patrick---The fuel filter may be clogged, but it really doesn't sound
so much like you have a carburetor or fuel problem. The fact that you
can get the car to pull up a hill by downshifting is a clue to this, as
lower gears require more fuel. I would check the ignition timing.
Chances are good that the timing has retarded, and probably due to block
wear on the points. Reset the points to .015 or use a dwell machine to
get close to 35 deg. Then check timing with a strobe/timing light.

Write back!

Dick Taylor

Patrick wrote:

Hello everyone,
I took my car out for a drive to the country yesterday. It was an hour
drive from home. The car seemed to run fine until the engine started
puttering when I accelerated. When I would reach a hill, the car slowed
down dramatically to the point that I had to downshift and floor the gas
just to make it up the hill.
The puttering made the car hesitate on acceleration and was causing a
jerking motion.
My carb setup is ZS and really considering converting to SU HS6's if I
can't get this problem resolved.
Can someone shed some light as to what can cause this puttering?
Thanks,
Patrick
'70 TR-6