RE: TR250 starter drive removal ?

To: "Robert P Waldrop" <Robert.P.Waldrop@USA.dupont.com>
Subject: RE: TR250 starter drive removal ?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 11:53:04 -0700
        Robert:

        The starter SHOULD drop out after you remove the two 3/8" UNF
bolts that pass
through the starter and the bell housing. You may need to wiggle it
around a bit.
        If you are referring to removing the nose of the starter itself,
I must ask -
why? You can get it rebuilt at ANY alternator/starter rebuilding shop. I
had mine
rebuilt locally for $120. It included new solenoid, new brushes, new
bearings,
new bushing, new armature, and repainting in black and silver. Can't
beat that
with a stick. I can't believe you will save any money doing it yourself.
        Best of all, it works SOOOOOOOO much better now. I think all
these people
that are buying the high torque mini-starters would be just as happy
with a fresh
rebuild on the stock starter, for about 1/2 the price. Any 30 year old
starter
is going to be very tired, and I suspect people think that the design is
junk
when in fact it is just worn out.
        My car is 9.6:1 CR, and it starts in well under 1 second when
cold.
Groovy.

        Vance