Rear End Play

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear End Play
From: Douglas Morris <dcmdcm@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 15:29:59 -0400
I have the beastie up on stands for a series of projects.
When running through the gears at fast idle, the throw-out bearing noise I
was listening for didn't materialize, but I noticed a clunk in the rear when
letting the clutch out at each gear.
I had not noticed any rear-end noise before.

Lying under the car, I found no structural breaks in the diff mounts.
I did note, however:
- The axle turns freely for a half revolution but with a bit of drag for the
other half rev.
- The outside U-joints click a bit when turned back and forth (I expect to
replace 'em).
- There seems to be some rotational play between the axles and the diff
(about 1/8" left and somewhat less right as seen at the inner flanges).

I haven't found any discussion of troubleshooting techniques for this, so
I'm guessin' it's necessary to rebuild the whole rear end.
Needless to say, if this is avoidable, I'd like to hear about it.

Doug Morris
'74 TR6, CF18kUO, NC