Re: Another trailing arm bushing question...

To: cdavid@direcway.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another trailing arm bushing question...
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 12:50:47 -0400
Chris,

Sometimes a car can have a shimmy and not be all over the place.  My car falls
into that category.  You may have two different problems.  However, I will give
you some ideas off the top of my head and I am sure others will add what I
might forget.  Wheels and even tires would be one of the most major causes of a
shimmy.  If you havent had the wheels rebalanced since you took ownership, I
would try that first. Also, what type of wheels do you have?  Wire wheels are
the most difficult to balance.  On the other hand, all over the place might be
an indication that the steering rack mounts are loose, or that the bushings are
shot.

Other general causes are:

Loose suspension components, loose steering components, unbalanced driveshaft,
worn bushings, worn U-joints and whatever else is causing my shimmy at about
50mph that I cant seem to locate.

Also, it might be helpful to the list if you can provide information as to what
you have done to the car or what a visual inspection to the steering and
suspension reveals.  For instance, are the bushings rubber and worn, or did the
PO indicate they had replaced them recently?

Also, as a general appeal to the list, please try to post your replies to
questions back to the list as well as to the person asking.  It is apparent
that many more replies are heading only to the person asking the question then
to the entire list.  Obviously this is appropriate in certain circumstances but
for the most part I enjoy reading about different answers in order to expand my
knowledge and understanding.  And I know how to hit the delete key if it is a
topic or post I have little interest in.  Thanks everyone.

Cheers,

Aaron, Topsham, Maine