RE: Volvo OD in a TR6

To: "Nederkoorn Marc" <m.nederkoorn@pinkroccade.com>
Subject: RE: Volvo OD in a TR6
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 07:59:35 -0700
        Marc:

        In addition to the Volvo overdrive, you will need:

                1. TR OD Output flange. If you get the Volvo OD with the
larger output flange, you can
               turn it 45 degrees and redrill it for the TR output shaft
bolts.
                2. OD main shaft. These are about $120 US. In Europe,
your best bet is to get a
               reconditioned one from Rimmer Brothers. Be careful to get
the number from your
               tranny before you order as there are two different,
non-interchangeable types.
                3. OD mounting adapter. Once again, Rimmer Bros. is a
good bet. Mine cost $90 US from
               Quantum Mechanics (www.quantumechanics.com)
                4. Various bits; Wiring harness, OD switch, switch
plinth. All are available from
               Moss, Rimmer, etc. I picked mine up on eBay.
                5. Speedometer angle drive (Quantum, Rimmer, eBay), and
the little speedo mounting adapter
               that attaches to the OD (Volvo speedo cable mount will
not fit triumph speedo cable).
                6. 3rd-4th gear lockout switch. You will need to drill a
hole in your tranny top cover
               to mount the switch. Available from Moss, Rimmer, costs
about $20US.

        Figure about $500-$550 US in parts. You will then need to remove
your transmission and replace
the non-OD main shaft with the OD main shaft. It took me about a year to
gather up the parts (I was in
no hurry). Puttering evenings and weekends, it was 2-3 weeks to do the
conversion. I rebuilt my tranny
while I was at it, great learning experience.
        The main shaft replacement is not as daunting as you might
think. I know I was terrified at the thought.
You will need to borrow a gear puller (I used it to pull the tail shaft
housing off the tranny). Forget all
that stuff about the special pullers, tools, etc you will need. I got a
12" drift at the local auto parts
store, and using the drift and a small hammer, I drifted out the
bearings and the whole thing came apart like
tinker toys. Be very careful putting everything back together, as there
are several non-interchangeable
washers and clips that need to go in correctly. A shop manual is
essential.
        There is a nice write-up at www.buckeyetriumphs.org. Very
helpful, but once again you don't need
the special tools unless you plan on doing several conversions, then
they would be worth the time and
cost to obtain. Just get that 12" long drift (some people call it a
punch).

        Cheers,

        Vance