Re: Man am I stumped

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Man am I stumped
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:59:15 -0700
airbear?  whoever you are;

Have you checked the anti-run-on valve?  Although I suspect this is a rare
problem, a stuck anti-run-on valve would probably prevent your car from
starting.  Since the oil pressure switch controls this valve, perhaps the
switch is the problem although I'm not entirely sure how this might happen.

Also, you say you verify spark to all plugs, just how did you verify?  The
spark needs to be timed.  I think I would try the static timing test.  Verify
that a test light goes out around 10 deg BTDC when you rotate the engine
clockwise approaching the timing mark.  Then make sure your rotor is pointing
to the #1 plug wire.

Finally, I would double check all the vacuum plumbing.  I would probably pull
off the brake booster hose and see that you can pull a vacuum, or block off
the manifold port altogether temporarily.

If your engine was running ok when you shut off then engine, and the valves
move ok right now, I find it hard to believe that the timing chain skipped a
tooth with a double tooth sprocket.

Best wishes
John Lumia - 1976 TR6