RE: Confused?????

To: <RazorBobSr@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Confused?????
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:26:46 -0800
RazorBobSr wrote:

Shop foreman tell me that to get TO
45ccs,they had to remove .170 from MY head,have I messed up,or WHAT

RazorBobSr,

The amount necessary to shave from the head will depend upon the original
compression ratio. Later heads require a large amount of "shaving" to
achieve higher compression ratios.  For example, I had a late head, that
required .175" to be removed to get it to 10:1 CR.  You can get a rough idea
of your CR by measuring the head from valve cover sealing surface to head
gasket sealing surface.  Here are the measurements (from the Triumph
TR250/TR6 Competition Preparation Manual):

7.75:1CR = 3.550"
8.5:1CR = 3.460"
10:1CR = 3.375"
12:1CR = 3.295"

As far as actual combustion chamber volumes, the manual gives the following
data:

41.6 cc = 10:1CR
33 cc = 12:1CR

Anyway, to sum it all up, you are probably OK, but measure it just to make
sure.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA