RE: Treating Rust

To: gln@worldpath.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Treating Rust
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:28:37 -0500
Nick,

I recently purchased some of the POR-15.  Haven't had a chance to use it
yet, BUT along with the POR-15 they recommend using this metal cleaner stuff
& their version of rust cleaner.  That stuff is to be used just before
applying the POR-15 paint.  BTW, Eastwood offers the same stuff & they claim
that UV rays won't hurt the paint as many have said about POR-15.  Anyway,
the rust treatment stuff is essentially Phosphoric Acid.  I bought some of
that stuff at Lowes.  Phosphoric Tub & tile cleaner.  You'll find it in the
Bath section.  I bought the big 1-gallon jug.

Test it on something...NOT CARB PARTS.  Some of the carb parts are pot metal
& don't come out pretty...ask me how I know.  I did put the ZS body in
there.  Works great!   I pretty much use it on anything that has rust.
Spray a little on, let it sit for a bit...you'll have to experiment.  Wash
it down with water & dry it.  You'll find that it won't rust again for some
time.

Good luck,

Todd Bermudez
TR250